Last night (Monday, Oct. 8, 2012) on “Dancing with the Stars: All-Stars,” there was a tie for the top between Melissa Rycroft and Tony Dovolani and Kelly Monaco & Val Chmerkovskiy. At the bottom again was Bristol Palin and Mark Ballas with 22.5. Tonight (Tuesday, Oct. 9) is a double elimination so there’s double trouble.
Palin and Ballas improved over their score from last week (18), but still were at the bottom of the leader board with 22.5 after performing the paso doble that originally was performed by Derek Hough and Joanna Krupa. That’s a controversial pairing–daughter of the family values Republican Sarah Palin and the Playboy model who has a reality TV celebrity habit and a live-in relationship still.
At least Ballas couldn’t go bonkers with this one. Still the oldest contestant, Kirstie Alley, scored better with a 24. She and Maksim Chmerkovskiy tied with Drew Lachey and Anna Trebunskaya.
Shawn Johnson and Derek Hough were in third place. Last week’s top scoring team, Sabrina Bryan and Louis van Amstel were in a four-way tie for fourth with Gilles Marini and Peta Murgatroyd, Apolo Anton Ohno and Karina Smirnoff and Helio Castroneves and Chelsie Hightower.
- Melissa Rycroft & Tony Dovolani: 27.0 (9.0,9.0,9.0)
- Kelly Monaco & Val Chmerkovskiy: 27.0 (9.0,9.0,9.0)
- Shawn Johnson & Derek Hough: 26.5 (9.0,8.0,9.5)
- Sabrina Bryan & Louis Van Amstel: 25.5 (8.5,8.5,8.5)
- Gilles Marini & Peta Murgatroyd: 25.5 (8.5,8.5,8.5)
- Apolo Anton Ohno & Karina Smirnoff: 25.5 (9.0,8.0,8.5)
- Helio Castroneves & Chelsie Hightower: 25.5 (8.5,8.5,8.5)
- Emmitt Smith & Cheryl Burke: 25.0 (8.5,8.0,8.5)
- Drew Lachey & Anna Trebunskaya: 24.0 (8.0,8.0,8.0)
- Kirstie Alley & Maksim Chmerkovskiy: 24.0 (8.0,8.0,8.0)
- Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas: 22.5 (7.5,7.5,7.5)
Take iconic and be more iconic.
Cha cha cha
Trebunskaya sexed it up with the costumes and stripping Lachey’s shirt.
Drew Lachey & Anna Trebunskaya: 24.0 (8.0,8.0,8.0)
- “Crazy in Love“—Beyoncé feat. Jay-Z
- Joey McIntyre & Ashly DelGrosso (Season 1)
- Song: “Crazy in Love” by Beyoncé
Score: 20 (7,7,6)
Did you like Maksim with the long hair? Of course, we always like Maksim without the shirt. The strategy here was to improve the technique and camp it up. This almost made iconic night worth it.
Kirstie Alley & Maksim Chmerkovskiy: 24.0 (8.0,8.0,8.0)
- “Moves like Jagger“—Maroon 5 feat. Christina Aguilera
- Carson Kressley & Anna Trebunskaya (Season 13)
- Score: 17 (6,5,6)
Is it possible for Apolo Anton Ohno to be steamier than Gilles Marini? Marini and Burke received two tens when they performed this and here’s where being an actor really helps. Marini was suave but sexy as the devil. Ohno was sophisticated but not with the same intensity as Marini.
Apolo Anton Ohno & Karina Smirnoff: 25.5 (9.0,8.0,8.5)
With this dance and partner, Val finally rises out of the shadow of his brother Maksim. Kelly and Val have chemistry, but Kelly doesn’t bristle with the kind of powerful physicality that Laila Ali had–few women do. With Laila Ali, you thought that she and Maksim could punch it out and Maksim would lose. With Kelly and Maksim it’s more a match of forceful personalities.
Kelly Monaco & Val Chmerkovskiy: 27.0 (9.0,9.0,9.0)
Can Bristol Palin ever equal the sex appeal and technical skills of Joanna Krupa. You know the answer is no. Ballas goes kooky and they get to play white queen and black king. This is a chess metaphor and has nothing to do with race.
The judges felt it was their best dance of the season–that’s one out of three. It had the most content and attack.
Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas: 22.5 (7.5,7.5,7.5)
Sabrina Bryan is a strong woman, even if she’s the youngest contestant. However, judge Carrie Ann Inaba thought this team brought nothing new artistically to this routine.
Sabrina Bryan & Louis Van Amstel: 25.5 (8.5,8.5,8.5)
Scary Spice was definitely scarier than Sabrina Bryan. Bruno called her an “adrenaline charged dominatrix.”
With Emmitt Smith, there were some awkward moments, but he is already a commanding presence. There was a scary moment, but it all ends well.
Emmitt Smith & Cheryl Burke: 25.0 (8.5,8.0,8.5)
- “Canción Del Mariachi”—Los Lobos feat. Antonio Banderas
- Mario Lopez & Karina Smirnoff (Season 3)
- Score: 30
Emmitt Smith and Cheryl Burke had already seen this paso doble–twice. He competed against Mario Lopez and won.
As expected Derek Hough decided to up the acrobatics and even included an illegal lift and a lot of drama at the end.
Shawn Johnson & Derek Hough: 26.5 (9.0,8.0,9.5)
- “Hey Pachuco”—Royal Crown Revue
- Helio Castroneves & Julianne Hough (Season 5)
- Score: 30
I think Johnson and Hough lacked the sophistication that Castroneves and Julianne had. When Castroneves and Hightower performed their own quickstep it had an amazing amount of joy–even with the slight bobble when Castroneves stepped on Hightower’s dress.
Helio Castroneves & Chelsie Hightower: 25.5 (8.5,8.5,8.5)
- “Mr. Pinstripe Suit”—Big Bad Voodoo Daddy
- Apolo & Julianne (Season 4)
I can’t choose. I love both versions and both sets of costumes.
Melissa Rycroft & Tony Dovolani: 27.0 (9.0,9.0,9.0)
Of course, Martinez didn’t have to perform all the drops and turns that Rycroft did because he’s the guy.
Don’t you love Gilles Marini doing the tango. Menacing and erotic, Marini delivered another solid performance, but lost points for his hold and some footwork mishaps.
Gilles Marini & Peta Murgatroyd: 25.5 (8.5,8.5,8.5)
- “Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)“—Eurythmics
- Erin & Maks (Season 10)
- Score: Technique: 18 Performance: 21
Week 1, it was Drew Lachey and his partner Anna Trebunskaya who were in the bottom two. Week 2, it was Hélio Castroneves and his partner Chelsie Hightower who survived the bottom two.
I’m hoping that Bristol Palin and Mark Ballas will be eliminated and most likely Drew Lachey will go as well. With Joey Fatone gone, the entertainment factor is low with this cast so I’m hoping that Kirstie Alley and her partner Maksim Chmerkovskiy will continue to dance.
- “Jump in the Line” – Harry Belafonte
- 30 (10,10,10)
- Score: 28 (9,9,10)
- “Conga” by Gloria Estefan
- “I Go to Rio” – Pablo Cruise
- Score: 28 (10,9,9)
- Score: 24
- “Werewolves of London” by Warren Zevon
- Score: 24 (8,8,8)
- “Crazy in Love” by Beyonce ft. Jay-Z
- 21 (7,7,7)
- “Get Down on It” by Kool & the Gang